How to Join
February has finally arrived and choir will be starting rehearsals soon, which means new audition opportunities for Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Bass choir parts. Please consider joining our summer concert, "The Dream of America", a unique musical exploration of America and her growth as a nation of immigrants. Titled after Peter Boyer's composition, this concert spotlights poignant Ellis Island stories from the turn of the 20th century, set to a moving orchestral score and weaved together with a variety of contemporary American choral works by composers including John Williams, Mack Wilberg, and Dan Forrest. Please sign up for an audition using this button...
- By clicking on the signup button you will be asked to enter your name and email (so we can send you confirmation of your audition) and a password of your choice should you need to access your audition appointment. Your email will be used only for this audition and no other purpose.
- Choir auditions will test vocal quality, range, sight reading skills and ability to adjust your singing to various musical directions (e.g. sing that phrase again, this time legato).
- Candidates should come prepared to sing a song you are comfortable with and that represents your best vocal ability (hymn, aria, lied, art song, folk song, etc.) Candidate will also be given a series of vocal exercises to sing, as well as basic choral parts for sight reading. PLEASE DO NOT BRING AN ACCOMPANIST, YOU WILL SING UNACCOMPANIED OR ONE WILL BE PROVIDED.
- You will audition one-on-one with the Music Director or an assistant. If multiple slots are available per listed time, this means multiple auditions auditions are happening simultaneously but in separate rooms (i.e., you will not sing together with other auditionees).
- Each choir member is asked to commit to the following points so that we as an organization and individually can strive for excellence in musical performance.
Attendance and Tuition
- Choir members commit (at a minimum) to a 9-month concert season, September to June.
- Attendance is required at all concert performances including tech and dress rehearsals (Dress rehearsals are typically the two rehearsals before the first concert).
- Attendance at weekly rehearsals is critical to our success. While 80% attendance is the minimum requirement, most PCO members average between 90-100% attendance. Rehearsals during concert season are 7:30-9:30 pm every Thursday at 11065 SW North Dakota Street in Tigard. Choir members will be notified of exceptions through our e-mail list or the calendar.
- Any exceptions to the above require advance approval from the Music Director. Details for any leave of absence within the season must be worked out and approved by the Music Director well in advance, including the date for possible re-entry and whether a re-audition will be necessary at that time.
- Choir tuition is $90 payable in one sum by the first of October.
- It is the responsibility of each individual member to purchase the approved tuxedo or dress within two weeks of acceptance into the choir. These are purchased through PCO (currently $120 for men and $90 for women) and are considered the first year tuition.
- Members who find the cost of performance attire to be prohibitive should contact the PCO President for assistance.
- Each member is encouraged to sell tickets for the concerts to friends, neighbors, and co-workers.
- Choir members maintain a black binder of their choosing that can be used (when needed in a concert setting).
- The music binder and a pencil are required at all rehearsals. All music is loaned to choir members from the PCO library and may be lightly marked in pencil.
- Members not returning music at the final concert in a concert set will be assessed a $10 late fee. Music not returned by 30 days after the concert will be assessed a $5 per piece replacement fee.